Healthy Cooking Volunteer
Healthy Cooking Volunteer
A minimum commitment of 10 volunteer hours within 6 months of start date is preferred
Assist Family Wellness Staff with on and off site youth healthy cooking classes. Supervise assigned children to provide an environment that promotes their physical, social, emotional, and intellectual development. A minimum commitment of 10 volunteer hours within 6 months of start date is preferred.
Education, Experience, & Skills (Minimum Requirement):
It is preferred that the incumbent has knowledge and experience working with children. The ideal candidate is able to relate well to children and families, and is able to work as a team with other staff. Age requirement is 12+.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Demonstrate the ability to assist children in preparing and executing a healthy meal under the supervision of a trained staff member.
- Work with wide variety of ingredients and food products.
- Work diligently with assigned students to ensure children are working in a safe environment, physically and emotionally.
- Be able to provide own transportation to on and off site classes.
- Be on time and fulfill all commitments. Regular and predictable attendance is required.
- Must wear appropriate attire, a Family Wellness Volunteer shirt will be provided.
- Supervise and assist participants with materials to ensure safety.
- Demonstrate ability to effectively communicate ideas and thoughts regarding their specific program with team members.
- Assist staff members with the cleaning of supplies, preparing for new groups, rotation of participants, or any additional activity support assigned.
- Customer Service
- Interact with the children in a warm and friendly manner.
- Take immediate action to meet customer requests or needs.
- Listens to understands what customers have to say.
- Recognizes safety hazards and takes corrective action; seeking assistance when needed.
- Demonstrates knowledge of operational policies and procedures.
- Performs work safely, without causing harm or risk to self, others or property.
- System Behavior
- Makes a decision considering the impact of the decision on other areas.
- Initiates collaboration with others outside of service area.
- Demonstrates personal commitment to the principles, values, and ethics of the organization.
- Models accountability for learning by sharing knowledge and learning from others.
- Builds effective working relationships.
- Expresses appreciation to others for their work.
- Treats others with respect.
- Demonstrates both knowledge and application of Family Wellness policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Facilities and supports change within Family Wellness.
- Demonstrates commitment to continuous learning for themselves and staff.
- Demonstrates and applies continuous quality improvement knowledge and skills.
INFORMATION MANAGEMENT COMPETENCIES
- Demonstrates skill in accessing, preparing and using information as relevant to position.
- Verbalizes and demonstrates knowledge of procedures for maintaining security, confidentiality and integrity of employee, patient, family and other medical information.
- Demonstrates ability to collect, analyze and present data as appropriate to position.
- Demonstrates skill in use of equipment or materials relevant to position; verbalizes knowledge of appropriate safety procedures.
- Diagnoses equipment problems; fixes or seeks out someone to fix.
- Consistently informs appropriate person of problems encountered with repairs or calibration of equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an volunteer to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, this volunteer is frequently required to stand, walk and kneel. Must be able to speak, hear, and understand the English language. This volunteer occasionally is required to lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
This position is classified as a Category III position under OSHA guidelines with norisk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens and other potentially infectious materials.